A friend recently mentioned that he had built cashew processing machinery in Senegal, and it sent me down a little rabbit hole looking at the variety of processing techniques that exist in the cashew industry. I tend to think you can learn a lot from looking at pre-industrial and industrialized versions of the same process side-by-side, so if you’re curious I recommend the following videos:
- First, an explainer on cashews generally. Not the greatest video but informative as background info.
- A very scrappy video of a streetside cashew processing stand in India
- A slightly more professional operation in Thailand
- A marketing video for a manufacturer of automated cashew processing equipment
- A news story on the cashew industry in the Ivory Coast, which is both scrappy and pretty professional looking. “It’s in food processing where the added value really lies.”