Connect any Phidget sensor to Node-RED

Phidgets are low-cost, versatile sensors that can be used for a wide range of applications. They even have their own Node-RED suite of nodes!

With Edge MC, users can instrument their entire shop floor with low expense and overhead. However, using the nodes requires installing, configuring, and running a local server to compile the sensor outputs.

The secret to easy installation is the Wireless VINT Hub. The Wireless hub runs this server by default, so it can pipe sensor data directly to Node-RED either over Wi-Fi, a targeted client, or local Ethernet.

Configuring the wireless hub is easy - the hub will automatically open its own Wi-Fi access point. After accessing the hub’s Control Panel via the web browser, a user can connect the hub directly to their Edge MC via the local network. Consult the hub documentation for more information.

Now, connecting your sensors and getting them into Tulip is as easy as connecting Phidgets’ nodes. In the photo below, the hub is connected to Node-RED/the Edge MC as a WiFi client with IP address 10.0.3.2. That being said, we think the easiest way to connect here is still over LAN - that way, you can still configure wired and wireless networks independently of each other.

Note that four separate sensors are connected and piping data to Tulip; a Sound sensor, an Accelerometer, a Humidity sensor, and a Current sensor.

(A note: since the Current sensor outputs a voltage signal, it needed a small formula to convert DC voltage to DC current. We also added a deadband filter to only return values more than 5% different than the previous.)

3 Likes

This is super useful for us and I can’t wait to give it a try.
Thanks,

(Quick note - got it running to Machine API, small edit from the main post in that each data source to Tulip needs to be its own Tulip node - note, for example, the Accelerometer with X, Y, and Z datasources)

1 Like

Is it possible to turn on an output from Tulip to a phidget device?

Wow, really sorry this took a while to respond - at any rate…

It is! Check this guide for more information.

In short, you’ll be setting up an API endpoint on your EMC, such that Tulip will send to that endpoint and Node-RED will receive from it for use wherever works.

Hello @k.ober,

I’m working on a machine monitoring project with phidget sensors linked to edge MC and Edge IO.
My config is very similar with yours and was working well at the first try with the Edge IO.
Unfortunately, after some manipulations, the “phidget22-connect” node is not able to connect anymore.
I switch this flow from edge IO to edge MC so maybe the creditential warning comes from this manipulation ? Do you have any ideas to solve this issue ? I already try several factory reset on both devices without success…

logfile.txt (10.5 KB)

Hi @RemyG

Can you verify that the IP address of the Phidgets Hub is still at 192.168.1.97 and that the EMC or EIO are on the same network?

Alex Misch

Hi,

I’m using a wired phidget hub, so it’s directly linked to the EMC through USB port.
192.168.1.97 is the ip of the EMC.

(i’ve tried different config with wired and wireless connexion with EMC and EIO without success)

Ok

This topic is more suited for the USB wired connection.

Go ahead and delete the Phidgets connect node and add it back in with the 0.0.0.0:5661 IP address.

i still have the same issue.

Ok, one last thing to try is a power cycle after the IP address change.

Can you supply me with the following information? I’ll try and test today to make sure it still works on my end.

• Tulip OS Version
  • Phidgets Hub Model Number

Power cycle doesn’t solve the problem.

EIO : eMMC-os48.1-nanopi-core2-stable
EMC : eMMC-os47-nanopi-r1-stable
Hub : VINT Hub Phidget HUB0001_0

Hi @RemyG,

We are updating the firmware to support this device hub0001 in the OS. We will update when this firmware image is available for OTA.

Thank you very much for help and reactivity !

FIY after different cross test :

• EIO + HUB0000_0 = OK (wired and wireless connection)
  • EIO + HUB0001_0 = NOK
  • EMC + HUB0000_0 = NOK
  • EMC + HUB0001_0 = NOK

The firmware version of the HUB0000_0 is the 117

@RemyG
I am in the progress of releasing OS49.2 which has support for the HUB0001_0 and the most up to date drivers for all the Phidgets devices.

Please let us know if it isn’t working after the update.

1 Like

Tests after OS49.2 update :

• EIO + HUB0000_0 = OK (wired and wireless connection)
  • EIO + HUB0001_0 = OK (wired and wireless connection)
  • EMC + HUB0000_0 = NOK (same error message as before and connection failed)
  • EMC + HUB0001_0 = NOK (same error message as before and connection failed)

Good to hear the EIO is working.

For the EMC, is the USB hub plugged in when the device is booted? Can you reboot the device with the USB hub plugged in?

Reboot when the USB hub is plugged doesn’t change anything.

@amisch do you have news on this topic?

Hi Remy,

Sorry for the delay. Can you turn on remote access for the EMC and send the credentials to support@tulip.co? Please do not post them here for security reasons.