Deprecation of Desktop Player 1.7.x and Lower

We want to inform you about an upcoming change regarding our product offerings. Effective November 6th, 2023, we will be deprecating Desktop Player version 1.7.x and all versions below it. The last formally release impacted version of Desktop Tulip Player is 1.7.2 in July 2022. Please note, customers using later unreleased release candidate versions are impacted as well.

Deprecation means that we will no longer be providing support, updates, or maintenance for these older versions of our Desktop Player software. We know that very few customers are still using these older versions, but understand that some of you may still be impacted. In order to ensure your production environments don’t experience any downtime, we encourage you to upgrade to the latest recommended version of our Desktop Player software for your instance type.

Impacted customers will be receiving an email notification from the Customer Success or Account Manager in the upcoming week with more guidance. If you have any questions before that, please feel free to reply to this post or contact your Customer Success or Account Manager.

Customer Guidance

What version of Player should I upgrade to?

Scenario Recommended Actions
Tulip Cloud customers on standard releases (currently 258.1) with auto updates enable for Player No action required. Auto updates should be keeping your Player devices up to date with the latest releases.
Tulip Cloud customers on standard releases (currently 258.1) with auto updates disabled for Player Option 1 - Enable auto updates. You can perform this change by following the instructions here for disabling auto updates, but setting the values to “FALSE”. Option 2 - Manually update all display devices to the recommended Player version. See instructions below for manual updating.
Customers on LTS 10 Check the Player version of you Display Devices. Upgrade to version 2.1.2. This is the recommended Player version for customers on LTS 10.
Customers on LTS 9 or lower Check the Player version of you Display Devices. Upgrade to version 1.8.2.This is the recommended Player version for customers on LTS 9 or below.
Customers using GovCloud Customers will need to check both their Factory release version and their Player version to determine if an update is required. Factory version LTS 9 or lower - update Player to version 1.8.2. Factory version LTS 10 - update Player to version 2.3.1
Tulip Customer Cloud (TCC) Customers will need to check both their Factory release version and their Player version to determine if an update is required. Factory version LTS 9 or lower - update Player to version 1.8.2. Factory version LTS 10 - update Player to version 2.1.2

What happens if I don’t upgrade to the recommended Player version?

Services that older versions of Desktop Player relied upon to operate normally will no longer be supported. This means Player version 1.7.x and below will experience degraded performance, higher memory consumption, and the possibility of crashing.

How do I check my Player Version?

Method 1

Navigate to the Display Devices page under Shop Floor. The column labeled “Software” will show the current version and type of Player running on a Display Device. This is a good method for checking a larger number of devices.

Method 2

Navigate to the “About” option in the Player menu to find a screen that displays the version. This is a good method for checking a couple of devices.

How do I enable Auto Updates?

Follow the instructions provided in the Tulip Knowledge Base here for disabling auto updates, but set the values to “FALSE”.

How do I update to the recommended Player Version for my situation?

To download a specific version of Tulip Player, use the below links:

Desktop Player 1.8.2
https://download.tulip.co/releases/prod/win/Tulip Player Setup 1.8.2.exe

Desktop Player 2.1.2
https://download.tulip.co/releases/prod/win/Tulip Player Setup 2.1.2.exe

Desktop Player 2.3.1
https://download.tulip.co/releases/prod/win/Tulip Player Setup 2.3.1.exe

Hello dear TULIP team,

I think you meant the following instruction link for enabling player updates (with the value “FALSE”):
How to Disable Automatic Updates for the Tulip Player

With kind regards
Paul

1 Like

Thank you @pwied! You are correct. I updated the link.

1 Like