Export trigger logic - get a better overview

Is it possible to export trigger logic to e.g. JavaSrcipt file or Phyton?

I have some steps with long list of triggers and I imagen it would be easier to get an overview of the logic having it all accessible at once.

In JSON app file when you export an app, no?

Thanks @youri.regnaud,
I was more thinking of a feature that could export the trigger logic and convert into some readable code (by magic)

Hey @oviland -

Right now this isn’t possible outside of the app export json (but that is far from human readable).

I go back and forth on if this is a thing worth building. Pure exporting would be relatively trivial, but probably couldn’t easily be done to an existing language. There is a whole lot going on in the background of Tulip triggers (async functions, pub-sub communication pipelines, SQL reads and writes, S3 interface, etc) that cant easily be replicated in a language like python (without generating a gigantic library of python scripts and inducing security concerns). The other consideration is that a single trigger on its own often doesn’t hold most of the complexity when debugging an app, its the interplay with multiple triggers, custom widgets, machine and devices that creates a maze that can be hard to follow.

We could develop a markdown language to reflect triggers in a more text-based format, this would be pretty easy for trigger export, but trigger import would be significantly trickier. Trigger enforce rigidly typed variables (I can’t write an int to a number variable without casting, for example), we would need to check every trigger to ensure it passes these checks before importing them. There are about 10000 other ways a trigger could be incorrect in text form, that we would need to support in error reporting on import that makes this a herculean ask (to do right).

Something we are thinking about, not something on the roadmap.
Pete

[quote=“Pete_Hartnett, post:4, topic:6646”]
There is a whole lot going on in the background of Tulip triggers (async functions, pub-sub communication pipelines, SQL reads and writes, S3 interface, etc)
[/quote] Seems to be great news background features!

Thank you for your extensive feedback @Pete_Hartnett .

This would help a lot.