Zebra printing - Syntax for inserting variables and/or table records into ZPL code

Hey @nelsonj !

Thanks for the detail here. Happy to help. Moving through my debugging steps:

The Zebra Printer Driver catches errors, but Zebra Printers do not. Is your Trigger throwing an error of some kind? Is this error shown in an in-app Message (“Error executing Trigger”)?

From what I can see with your previous print, it would look like you can successfully connect to the printer, and therefore should be instead getting an Error Executing Trigger.

This error means that Tulip is having trouble parsing your Expression into text. To test this easily, copy that Expression, make a button, and paste the Expression in a “Show Message” trigger on that button. Now, we just have to fix this expression until hammering that button shows the Z-code we want.

The four things I would check here:

1. The Expression has all its quotes and +'s in order - this looks to be true, because it says “Valid Expression” on the bottom in green.
  2. All the Variables in the expression have a value - if you give an Expression anything that includes a null or empty variable, the entire Expression will become null. Be sure your input Variables actually have something in them at the time that this trigger is running - for example, by using the Debug view.
  3. The DATETIMETOTEXT function you have there is parsing correctly - it looks like it, but again if that becomes null then the entire Expression is null. Test this by pasting that function over in a different Message.
  4. If all else fails, it’s because everything here needs to be of type Text (i.e. a String), and some of these variables are other types (e.g. Number, Datetime, or etc.). I don’t think this is the case, as I think the + already forces everything to be a string, but I may be wrong here.

Let me know if this helps!

2 Likes