Please do not make null take over all the expression

@ Pete_Hartnett

Thank you for taking the action for
Please do not kill the trigger silently when there are null variable in the expression - Product suggestions - Tulip Community
Now the trigger is not killed even if the value to show is null.

However, I still have problem.
Let’s say if I want 3 variables to be written in the email which is sent from my Tulip App.
I would like to write the Expression like this

@Variable.var1 + @Variable.var2 + @Variable.var3

However, when var1 is “a” and var2 is “b” and var3 is null, I only get “null”.
In the current specification, I have to write

TO_TEXT(@Variable.var1) + TO_TEXT(@Variable.var2) + TO_TEXT(@Variable.var3)

to get “abnull” which I expected to get in the first expression.
Can you change the specification so that I get “abnull” with the first expression ?
I think it is more natural and easier for debugging.

@Pete_Hartnett

I have similar request. The variable with null can change to string “null” with TOTEXT function.
However, The Table record field with null does not change to string “null” with TOTEXT functoin.

When I run the trigger above, I see “A:null” and “null”

What I want to see is “A:null” and “B:null”.
In order to do that, I have to use IF and ISNULL.

Please make TOTEXT available for null table record field (as it is in the null Variable).

@ta-aoki, thanks for sharing this with us. I’ll let @Pete_Hartnett or one of the other Product Managers chime in on any relevant work being done in this area. I don’t have timelines to share, but unifying how Tulip handles data across the various parts of the platform is a major goal of ours, and when you surface inconsistencies like this it helps us make Tulip better for everyone.

1 Like

Just to share the information, the LINK() function seem to work fine in this case.

I am sorry, this might be only happening when I am running the App in the Test mode.

@ta-aoki, that would make sense to me. When I’m testing apps w/ complex expressions or extensive use of tables or table queries and aggregations, I often double check everything in the player as well as Dev Mode. Glad you were able to diagnose this!

1 Like