CSV Encoding for exported data

Currently, i can export CSV sheet from TULIP table or interactive table. I can print the CSV file, or import to Excel for further analysis.

However, my case involve non-latin character (Chinese), and original data source uses Unicode (UTF-8) encoding. But it seems that the exported CSV file by default use other encoding (see screenshot below, probably 52936: HZ encoding), and the data is not readable. I need to manually convert the encoding settings before using the file.

I would like to know how i can force setup the encoding for exported CSV file, so my end users can directly use the exported file without complex conversion.

I have the same issue with ä, ö, ü, ß (german letters)

I raised the following feature request: Correct encoding for CSV downloads for display in Excel - Product suggestions - Tulip Community

I also describe what Tulip would need to do to enable CSVs to be interpreted correctly in Excel.

2 Likes

I think it might be a long process for TULIP to achieve such a feature.

Because my company is using a standalone TULIP server, not tulip.co, so i’m more considering local solution, perhaps to modify the settings in our database in the back-end. Is there any instructions available from TULIP engineers?

Hi @xiaoxiao111 - Thank you for your question here. @jas did open this product request because it is not currently possible to use the UTF-8 encoding when exporting Csvs from Tulip. However, I think the team will work on prioritizing this work in the future as there are more and more customers who are asking for this!

In the meantime, in terms of as workaround - you can try the following:

Open the downloaded CSV using Notepad

1. File → Save as → Change name to add .csv extension.
  2. Change encoding to UTF-8 BOM
  3. Save as File type → All files
  4. Open this file

Let me know if this helps! And feel free to vote on the product suggestion @jas linked, as that helps set priorities for our what the team works on.

Hello @Beth, thank you for your information.

However, my end users use iPad for the TULIP app, and directly print the CSV file from iPad. Your solutions works well on PC, but not quite applicable on iPad.

As mentioned, my company use a standalone TULIP server. So i’m thinking to modify the settings/codings in the back-end server, so we can directly export CSV with correct encoding settings.

Understood - I think for this it may be best to contact our support team (either via email support@tulip.co or by this link https://tulip.zendesk.com/hc/en-us) - they may be able to provide guidance on how to modify settings on your server!