IP address for partner URL

I want to post new records to a Tulip table from a ESP8266 microcontroller. The firmware only supports sending to a IP address, not a URL. How can I get the IP Address for https://partner-mycompanyname.tulip.co

1 Like

Hey @markwkiehl,

Found this guide talking about how to make a post call from an ESP8266. Your esp will be making a POST call to the Tulip Tables API with the data you want added to your table. Here is some more information about the tables API. I also have this github gist that shows how to hit the tables api in Python (feel free to steal the headers and whatnot I use when making the call). I think there is an avenue to run python natively on ESP devices, but I haven’t ever explored this myself.

I haven’t done this personally, but @freedman has done something similar with an ESP32 (the 8266’s bigger brother), he might have more context to provide.

Hope this helps,
Pete

@markwkiehl which firmware are you using? This article seems to show that it is possible:

You could also install micropython onto your ESP8266 and do it with that (that’s what I’ve done in the past)

I truly appreciate the attempt to help me. I spent a day and half researching this, and just an hour ago, I was finally successful. I am now able to securely HTTP post a new record to a Tulip table using my Feather HUZZA ESP8266 microcontroller. I posted a complete example on how to do this on my website at Savvy Microcontroller Solutions - Microcontroller Arduino Spark.IO sensors electronics C++ . The code example titled ’ Client HTTP POST with Basic Authentication & Bear SSL’ is the one that works for Tulip. The example is based on pushing data to POSTMAN Echo, but the concept is the same. The URL and other minor details need to be adapted to Tulip. I hope this helps someone else.

Hi Pete,

I truly appreciate the attempt to help me. I spent a day and half researching this, and just an hour ago, I was finally successful. I am now able to securely HTTP post a new record to a Tulip table using my Feather HUZZA ESP8266 microcontroller. I posted a complete example on how to do this on my website at Savvy Microcontroller Solutions - Microcontroller Arduino Spark.IO sensors electronics C++ . The code example titled ’ Client HTTP POST with Basic Authentication & Bear SSL’ is the one that works for Tulip. The example is based on pushing data to POSTMAN Echo, but the concept is the same. The URL and other minor details need to be adapted to Tulip. I hope this helps someone else.

Hey @markwkiehl-

This is super cool. Just read through your guide and it is incredibly comprehensive. I just documented a need for additional documentation around this sort of integration. Thanks for doing so much legwork to discover an approach to doing this.

Impressed every day by what the Tulip world is able to come up with-
Pete

moved to #show-and-tell because @markwkiehl made it work :grinning: