Accessing completions data from the API

Whenever an operator uses the “Complete” button, a new row will be added in the “Completions” tab. Each row holds these values

What does “Tab” mean here? Is Completions just a table?

Hey @wz2b,

Completions are available here:

Completions aren’t dissimilar to Tables, but they are a little less flexible. For example, Completion data can’t be reloaded and edited like table data. Additionally, completion data from one app can’t be used for another.

For standalone apps to do basic data collection completions are slick, because they save having to build a table, add a placeholder, create a record, and write fields. It will just automatically record the value of each variable when the app is completed. I don’t use completions often because of the aforementioned limitations, but many customers use them almost exclusivly.

Pete

That makes complete sense, but I still have the question: can I ACCESS this data somehow through the API? (From docs it doesn’t seem so).

Hey @wz2b,

You’re right, this data can’t be accessed through the API. A little more context around this limitations:

1. Historical context - Completions predate tables significantly, they were the only way to store data in Tulip apps until mid 2019. This had all the limitations I listed above. Tables, and the eventually the API came long after completions.
  2. So why do completions still exist? Beyond the simplicity they provide for a simple application, completions are also critical in highly regulated industries where data immunitibility is absolutely critical.

I see no reason we couldn’t make this data accessible through the API, but editing or adding records over the API is more than likely something we wouldn’t consider. I will connect with the engineering teams to understand what the underlying limitation is here.

Pete

2 Likes