Add Output to API Connector

When we are developing an app, it’s a bit frustrating when we need to add output to our connectors. Would it be possible to have the possibility of adding outputs but not being able to remove them to avoid regressions?
Indeed, currently, we duplicate API connectors if we have to add only one output and so, we have a lot of API connectors.
Thanks
Guillaume

2 Likes

We are cleary aligned with Guillaume.
Globally, there is no life cycle management about the function and connector as we can have on app.

In terms of best pratices about API management, add a new output or input is transparent for the client. This change does not force the client to re-deploy a new version.

1 Like

hello @Guillaume and @mathieu.rey, I definitely agree that having to duplicate Functions can be a frustrating and is cumbersome. especially when you only need to add an Output.

I will mention that by adding Outputs, issues could be caused to apps where the Function is used and the Variable is created. have you considered creating Functions with all the potential Outputs and only using the ones that are needed??

hi @gio ,

We have internaly a organisation to determine the most generic functions as much as it is possible.
Hovewer, function such as app has a lifecycle (evolution) that could be pushed by the app, the buiness or even the backend.
In addition, expose to much data as clear impact on time performance and data management on app.

@gio This would epic for us to add outputs. Recently we added a Unit of measure to our BOM outputs from our ERP.
This connector is used in 200+ apps and having to go into these and change the connector function each time was annoying. It would be easier to simply add a column in these apps and use the same connector function.

Hi @Nolsie ,

I agree this could be very cumbersome to change connector functions in all the apps when the update includes adding a new field in the function output.

We are actively looking into adding this functionality & workin on it. I will bump this thread as soon as I have more information around the timelines.

Would you be interested to do some initial testing when we have this functionality?

Thanks,
Sagar

Hello @Sagar
Yes that would be great…happy to do some testing when it’s ready.

Thanks,
Nolan

1 Like

Hi Tulip Team,

Any improvement in this functionality? Can we add a new output field to an existing connector, that is used the apps, without creating a new copy of the connector and changing the whole app where respective connector fields are used?

Thank you.

Regards,
Bharat Vaka