Add trigger to Single Select Widget

In order to trigger actions when you select a value in new “Single Select Widget”, a trigger function (as button widget) will be great

2 Likes

Appreciate this, Youri! This sounds similar to PJ’s recent request as well: Reduce Build Time For Complex Application

I will share with our product team because this seems to be a trend :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll throw my name in there as well - this would be nice for ease of use for the end users.

3 Likes

I’ll add my support to this as well. This would be extremely useful for situations where selecting an option would populate another single select accordingly. The current work arounds using update buttons and tables is not sufficient for the end user experience and results in a cluttered user interface.

Hey @cpennella,

There is a feature being released in r223 (which will be released today to most instances) that will enable users to make custom widgets that are almost infinitely flexible.

One of the first things I made when testing this feature was exactly what you are talking about, inputs that also have triggers tied to input. Building a widget that auto advances steps when a number is entered within a given range, but this concept could be applied to a single select too.

This feature will need to be enabled by live chat for you until ~r225. There is new documentation about that feature here. Very soon we will be releasing library apps that include pre-made widgets that you can use, or build on top of.

Pete

1 Like

Fantastic, thank you! This sounds like it should be helpful.

~WRD0001.jpg

When NoCode meet Code!!!

Haha @youri.regnaud :slight_smile:

Increasingly customers are asking for very specific features that don’t make sense to build nativly within the platform, so there has been an ongoing project for at least the last year to figure out the right way to enable users to make their own widgets.

The v1 of this functionality certainly has some limitations, but is incredibly powerful. Widgets will be sharable (both through library apps and through import/export) from day 1, so the hope is while there is code involved, it just takes one person to make a sweet gauge or visualization for the whole community to benefit.

Make easy things easy and make hard things possible!

Pete

I love this sentence, it really resonates with the democratisation of technology.

Is props can share video stream between Tulip apps and custom widget?

Hey @youri.regnaud,

This isn’t currently possible but on the backlog for v2 of custom widgets.

This is just a limitation of how custom widgets are embedded within the browser HTML. There is a workaround for this limitation in the backlog.

Pete.

Thanks, to put some context I imagine a widget with https://www.scandit.com/ SDK for advanced scanning features (augmented reality, matrix scan, …)

Hey @youri.regnaud ,

Day 2 and you’re already pushing the new feature! Love it!

This library is now on the developers radar. I’ll see what I can do to make sure its supported as we continue to iterate on new functionality.

Keep me in the loop if your run into other limitations, a bunch we have already found, but I’m sure you will run into some new ones too!

Pete

Is there a place to submit custom widget ideas, to share with community? Maybe co-development is possible between members via GitLab/Hub for example??? What does the community think?

For the time being Show and Tell is a decent place to drop what you’re working on! If we find the need for a dedicated category for Custom Widgets we can definitely spin that up.

A lot more content around custom widgets will come when it is fully released (not behind a feature flag). We expect this to happen in r225. This includes stuff like:

• Library apps with a ton of useful prebuilt, Tulip tested, widgets.

• Widget build videos

• Widget example use-cases

Internally much of Tulip spend 2 days a few weeks ago building dozens of super awesome custom widgets, I can’t wait to share what is possible. This feature is behind a flag (like many others) as an opportunity to get some more real-world testing with less risk of creating issues in production apps across the product if some unexpected bug or instability was caused that hadn’t been previously seen. When we can verify these things are as stable up to our standards and completely release it.

Being able to share these more natively than Export>Share file>Import is in the works. In the coming months these things should be sharable within the product. Like I said above, the vision is 1 developer can make some awesome widget and 9 others can just import and be running in minutes.

Pete

1 Like

Hey @youri.regnaud-

At long last - Single selects can finally run triggers! (r230/LTS8 or later)

I are building mechanisms so asks like this don’t sit at the back of the long list of feature requests for over 2 years. Keep bringing up these small usability things that make all the difference for app builders, and I will keep doing what I can to get them triaged in a more timely mannor!

Pete