Deleting Records Impacting Other Linked Records

Hi, I noticed an issue and wanted to post here for visibility and see if anyone else has run into this issue. I have two tables with all of their records linked with a one to many relationship. I had some old test data I wanted to clean up so started deleting the first several entries of each table. After I deleted a few I noticed some of my remaining unaltered records had their link relationship cleared.

For example I had table A something like:

ID: 1, TableBLink: 1, 2, 3, 4
ID: 2, TableBLink: 5, 6, 7, 8
ID: 3, TableBLink: 9, 10, 11, 12

And Table B something like:

ID: 1, TableALink: 1
ID: 2, TableALink: 1

Then I deleted Table A ID 1 and Table B ID 1-4.

Next I observed a missing relationship for some of the remaining entries in the table like this:

Table A:

ID: 2, TableBLink:
ID: 3, TableBLink: 9, 10, 11, 12

Table B:

ID: 5, TableALink: 
ID: 6, TableALink:
ID: 7, TableALink:
ID: 8, TableALink:
ID: 9, TableALink: 3

Thankfully, I have a recent export of the table so I should be able to restore those links manually if needed, but was curious if this is a known issue.

Distantly related, but I’m also curious about this topic as I wouldn’t have a need to delete all the test data for a clean analysis, instead I could more easily filter it out: Linked table fields & Analysis

2 Likes

hey @phil, thanks for bringing this to our attention. let me look into this and see if this is expected behavior or if there’s something else going on.

3 Likes

Hey @phil, apologies for the delay in response here. As you might have suspected this a bug, not expected behavior. Our support and engineering teams are aware of this and scoping a fix.

Thanks for raising this issue, it really helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! I’m curious to know when this is resolved so I can go back to cleaning up some old/test data without having to reattach a ton of links :slight_smile:

1 Like