Fake Buttons for Tulip Vision

Hey I saw a demo for light guide using projected buttons and thought tulip could likley do that with vision. I was wondering what the forum thinks would be the best implementation for a fake button and why?

What I am thinking is cutting out vinyl stickers that say next previous help etc, and using logic like “when jig leaves area” do this transition based on what button is seen.

Thoughts?

@Shrmnatr, this is a loaded question :sweat_smile:

Give me a minute to dig up some stuff from the ancient Tulip archives

Hey! Great idea - this is something I’ve done myself! Two possible methods:

1. “when jig disappears” is a really reliable way to do these kinds of actions. I use this in our Vision Kitting demo to automatically kick off running various Vision models for things like OCR or anomaly detection.

2. Change detectors also work, with the benefit being that you can make your operations a bit more human-readable (they don’t have to see a QR code and think about what it means). This obviously requires a bit more control as change detectors are really dependent on lighting and environmental factors but big, blocky, high-contrast decals (like a big white hand on a black worktop) tend to work pretty reliably.
    In this video we use this method at about 1:00 in.
    It’s a bit outdated as to start, we simply used small pieces of tape to indicate to workers where to lay their hands. Later iterations, we cut some white vinyl and saw significant reliability improvements as it allowed us to reduce the size of the change detector window to just the white infill of the vinyl.

1 Like

I don’t know if I would call it loaded. I was just thinking of what I thought the best way to do it would be and what others thought.

Nice! I think that is the path I want to go.

Can these jig detectors be laser etched into plastic or silk screened? How sensitive are the detectors?

As long as it’s something with high contrast, it should be able to be read! So, you can absolutely do etched or screened methods; silk screen tends to work really well, but the only consideration with etching is that you’ll want to control for glare on high-reflective materials like plastic and metal.

I’ve even seen some really nice codes that are made by sandblasting injection plastic molds to cause a matte finish, and polishing the code into the mold to make that area glossy. Contrast is key!

Ok, is there a way to make a universal jig detector button? I know generally you have to print out the codes on paper, is there a way I can create one that will work for every station? Or do they have to be an individual and unique marker for each station?

Ah, right - so there’s five qualities of this jig detector that can or will be specified in the Tulip trigger:

1. its Configuration
  2. its Station (or just whatever one is local via “At this Station”)
  3. its type - Appeared | Disappeared
  4. the name of the Region that reported the event
  5. the ID encoded in the code

So, if I understand correctly, to make your “universal” button you simply want to not have any conditions in your trigger that depend on the code’s ID. That being said, you can also specialize your triggers based on any of the fields above.

Worth noting, though, you do need to specify exactly the Vision Configuration you want an app to be able to receive events from; so, this is likely one Vision Config for many Stations. You can still only act on events happening locally (with “at this station”, you ignore event from others), but things like the size and name of the Region, etc will be common across these Stations.