How to connect Tulip to Asana via a HTTP Connector

I am trying to connect to Asana using an HTTP connector, but do not have much coding experience. My goal is to read the status of certain tasks on a list created in Asana and update the tasks based on step completions in Tulip.

I found the the API related documentation on Asana’s website (https://developers.asana.com/docs/how-users-are-organized). On the Asana side I was able to create a “Tulip App” with https://vertex.tulip.co/ (our Tulip instance) as the redirected url as well as the app website (which I am not sure is correct). I have a “Client ID” and “Client secret” but not sure how to use this information on the Tulip end.

On the Tulip end I created a connector called “Asana Connector” , created and successfully tested the connection to Host “app.asana.com” with the port set to 80 and TLS set to “No”. I then created a “Test Asana” function, but am stuck at the Authentication step. I think I need to use OAuth 2, but not sure what to enter for the prefix or token. I assume it is the “Client ID” and “Client secret” from Asana, but not sure and could not find an article on the knowledge base on this topic. After figuring out the authentication I would need to find the right endpoint to enter into the “get” line, but not sure how to find the endpoint. I might be able to find more information online,but thought I would post the question here to see if anyone has done something similar and can help me to connect to Asana.

1 Like

Hello @petrus_geldenhuis,

Thanks for reaching out, and great to hear that you’re trying to integrate with Asana!

Asana has several ways to authenticate, one of them is using a Personal Access Token. To get a personal access token, you can follow the following steps:

Getting a Personal Access Token (PAT)

1. Open the Developer App Management page by using this permalink or following these steps:
    a. From within Asana, click your profile photo from the top bar and select "My Profile Settings"
    b. Click the “Apps” tab
    c. Click "Manage Developer Apps"
  2. Click "+ Create New Personal Access Token"
  3. Type a description of what you’ll use the Personal Access Token for.
  4. Click "Create"
  5. Copy your token. You will only see this one time, but you can always create another PAT later.

Once you have the PAT, you can use it from Tulip like this:

At that point, you can use the same setup to make the calls to all of Asana’s endpoints.

Could you let me know once you’re able to set it up and if it works correctly?

Thanks,

Gio

1 Like

Success, thank you @gio ! Next step is to figure out how to GET the appropriate data from Asana and update task through Tulip. Thanks again for your help.

NOTE: For anyone else trying this, make sure to put a space after “Bearer” before your toke (black line) in the second screen shot.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am also trying to connect Asana with Tulip.
Are there people who are already well advanced in this?