Printing using a "non zebra" label printer

Hello.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried hooking up a more cost effective printer for printing shipping/check-in/barcode labels?
Right now a new Zebra printer with ethernet port is around $600. It gets very costly when needing multiples on a production line (separate sub build stations that get scanned into a final for Poka yokes).
I was thinking of using a Dymo (yes, a cheap printer) to print off an image of the shipping label on a step set to Mobile Landscape.

If anyone has done something like this already I’m all ears, or if it will not work then I can put this idea on the back burner for awhile.

Any advice/ideas are welcome! Thanks!

hello @DewyWCI, yes Zebra printers are very reliable but they can indeed get quite expensive.

so long as the printer is connected to the tablet or computer, you’ll be able to print the landscape pages you’re mentioning. looking forward to hearing what printers other users are using!!

Hello,

I realize that I’m a bit late to this post, but I am currently using a Dymo 450 LabelWriter to successfully print a 16:10 landscape step to a 2.25" by 1.25" label. I have to print labels on a daily basis and its been working pretty well for me so far.

1 Like

Right on @Matt.Harris!

ZPL is great but the printers themselves tend to be more expensive and the legwork to write ZPL can be a bit of a challenge!

For those finding this in the furure, ZPL is becoming more widely accepted and so there are now many lower cost options that support ZPL. Here is one:

Pete

@Matt.Harris,

Are you connected to the device running the player directly or do you go through a third party print server? Just asking for a friend… :laughing:

@Pete_Hartnett,

Ill have to look into that as well!

Thanks @Pete_Hartnett @Matt.Harris @gio for Replying!

Hey @DewyWCI -

If you wanna talk going through a third party system, there is a connector coming to the Tulip Library very soon for Bartender. Here is a video going over that integration:

Its really slick to be able to leverage Bartenders strengths in printer fleet management and the UI of Tulip.

Pete