Row selected trigger editing the row selected

Hi all, sorry if this is a basic question but I am new to tulip and it might be the wording but I could not find a solution despite seeing it done elsewhere

When I have an interactive table and select a row, I want it to change a value within the row I just selected, is this possible?

I tried to follow the beginning in of this thread to figure out how they managed to display the ID from the selected line and I’m not sure if WO is a record placeholder with multiple table records in it or something else. When I tried one record placeholder with multiple table records in it, no matter what line I selected it would only display information about one record.

Hi @btsang!

Yes this is absolutely possible. A table record placeholder is exactly that, a container that follows the schema of the table that you can load information into. This makes it dynamic - if we attach a table record placeholder to an embedded table, selecting a row is effectively loading that particular row’s data into the placeholder.

With this information, modifying the selected row should be easy. Just add a trigger to the embedded table that says on row selection, do a data manipulation action and store some value to the target column(s) of the table record placeholder associated to the embedded table!

Does that help?

@btsang Using “Data Manipulation” in the trigger is what you need.

Example app:

Screen Recording 2022-06-28 at 3.02.04 PM

Trigger on the interactive table:

Use “Data Manipulation.”
I think what you need is going to be in those menus.

1 Like

In the increment clickcount, what is loaded into SelectedTableRow and when is it loaded?

Incrementing is built in to data manipulations; I just selected what the interval would be.

I just used the increment by one as an example, but what do you want to populate the record when you click it?

Sorry, I meant when are the records loaded into the Record Placeholder SelectedTableRow. What I am currently have is one screen where someone requests helps and another screen where someone can resolve that request.

On the screen where someone requests help, I have it so that on step enter it loads into 1 placeholder that is its row and a button that when pressed loads it into a “requested” record placeholder. It also changes a value in an existing record/row

On the screen where they resolve the issue, they click on the table record that is the request and it changes a value/row. I was running into the issue where no matter which record I clicked, it would take action on the same one. EX: If i clicked on row A, it would act on row B, if I clicked row B it would act on row B

Do you have it set up with one table record placeholder for the help request and a second table record placeholder for the resolution? Seems like the logic could be overwriting the placeholder when you want it to remain stored.

I meant to mention that the way I currently have it set up does work as I want it to I was just wondering if that was the correct way/best practice for what I was trying to accomplish.

@btsang I’m a little late to the party here, but based on some of your questions I’m thinking there may be a breakdown in what a table record placeholder is. This concept is commonly misunderstood.

Basically, a table record placeholder is a pointer. It points to a single record in a Tulip table. When you click on an interactive table (that has a “linked table record placeholder” assigned to it), you effectively point the table record placeholder to the record you’ve selected.

Alternatively, you could use a trigger to create a new record / load an existing record. This will point the table record placeholder at whatever record ID you specify.

The record placeholder can be pointed at different records throughout the course of your application, but at no time will it ever be pointing at two records simultaneously.

When you consider apps that are used by multiple people at the same time (but on different computers) then each app acts independently - though the table itself is a shared data source. One computer can use the record placeholder completely independently of the other person.

Another technique to be aware of, as you mentioned, is to have multiple record placeholders within your app pointing to the same table. This can make your trigger logic easier to write. For example, you may want to reference one table record while you are updating or creating another.

I hope this is a helpful explanation.

Regarding your specific issue with your application, it is hard to say without seeing it, but it seems like your trigger logic is acting on the wrong record placeholder. Double check the interactive table that the user is clicking on to confirm which record placeholder is being interacted with and confirm that is the table record placeholder being used in your trigger logic.

Here are a few videos that help to explain table records:
Quick tips - Tulip Tables - YouTube
Tulip Tables Overview - Feature Overview - YouTube