Tulip player cursor to Badge ID field

Today when open Tulip player, operator need to click on Badge ID field and then type their badge ID (it is two step to loggin). I will be great if automatically the cursor will be on the Badge ID field, so operator could direct type their ID.

Hey @Nicolas-

Great idea, not sure how this was missed initially, I wrote a feature request for this, and will see what I can do to get it supported in the next release of player.

Pete

Would also be nice to have this functionality available on every step (ability to default the cursor to a text/number input). Especially now that tab order is much easier to manipulate.

Hey @jboyle -

This falls into the broader bucket of “Focus Control”. There has been a bunch of discussions both internally and on the community around this in the last 3 months.

In short, we want to enable users to establish an order where elements are interacted with, so as users hit the tab, the cursor will move around in whatever order you specify. There are a few ways to approach this:

1. Enable trigger properties in triggers, so on step enter you could set Button1.focus = true. This is more scalable because it means we could enable more features like hiding or disabling inputs from triggers, but might lack some flexibility for stuff like hitting tab driving through different fields.
  2. Make a new UI where users can set a static order of fields will be interacted with. This would probably be easier for users for simple flows but would lack the ability to branch logic and whatnot, which you could do with triggers.

Neither of these has made it into the engineering phase, so I doubt users will see this sort of functionality within the year, but we see this as one of a few areas in the product that needs focus sooner rather than later.

Pete

3 Likes

How about just adding a “Move focus to” action for which you can the choose the target widget from a list?

1 Like

@sebme -

That is exactly what I am proposing internally. Removes the need for a new UI for focus control, more extensible to additional widget properties, etc.

Pete

1 Like

Hello
Our business would like to get feedback on this feature request: having focus on badge ID field on the login screen. It is very annoying operator to select the field “badge ID” and then scan there badge and this 8-10 times per days (session timeout).

1 Like

What device do you use?

On my TULIP Player on my Windows machine, it works just finde.

However on my iPad the Badge-ID field has focus, but is not active (no cursor, no keyboard).
Is that what you have trouble with?
@Pete_Hartnett are you aware of this issue?

Hey All-

Excited to report that this behavior has been resolved as part of r255, which will be rolling out over the next ~week.

Pete

1 Like

are there any other focus control features that you outlined above in discussion?

Hey @jjj -

Not yet, the scope of the work in r255 exclusively relates to the badge id screen within player. Focus control in trigger is something we have backburnered a bit just because doing it well is challenging. We need to expose a list of all widgets within a trigger dropdown, but this might be several thousand widgets which is an impossibly long single select. This mandates a few things:

• Widgets need to be renamable so you can identify the correct widget (bonus if you could just select them in the editor, but this is significantly more work to implement)
  • We probably need to expose search to identify the widget you want to control
  • We need to do this performantly @ 50,000+ widgets within one app (the top end of what our customers are building today)

Something we are thinking about, but not likely something we implement in the coming quarter.

Pete

Hi just check on our staging that is in r255 and running the player 2.2.0.
Openning the player, the badge ID field don’t have the cursor for tipping the badge ID :frowning: