Access to Analytic values in app logic

Analytics are super powerful, but I have an idea that could make them significatly more powerful -

Right now we can make single number analytics that can do tons of cool things (like allowing dynamic filtering, daterange filtering, etc), but we cant do anything that data in tulip logic.

It would be great if we could send an email when our single number analytic goes above 8%. We can display that 8% but we can’t act based on it.

My proposal would be to allow, in cases where the data is just a single number not a graph, users to select the analytic as a data type in logic. [table record, app variable, analytic value, static value, expression, etc.]. From there they could select the analytic and use the data however they like in the standard Tulip logic.

Thoughts? I think this could be a major simplifier of tulip logic.
Peter

1 Like

Hey Peter, are these single number analytics referencing table data, machine data or app completion data?

Hey Kevin,

This data is table data, not machine or app completion data.

We completely avoid completions with our app architecture. I get the sense that, like form steps, completions are something tulip built early in your development, but have been working away from. I don’t personally think this is much of a loss.

I don’t fully understand why completions need to exist, we store our data to tables on our own schedule, completions just force us to reload records, cause an interruption in the apps on the floor. Yet to see the value, just additional complexity in the logic.

Yes, I agree, we built it earlier in Tulip’s history and it is unclear how “completions” fit into our future.

As for your request around reacting to Analytics values with app logic, I believe the “Table Queries” project that I mentioned in my other post will solve this as well. I will add you to the beta list!

1 Like

Hello,
Is there anything new with the topic ?
I have several analytics that shows a value of a Tulip table aggregation, the only thing I can do with them is to show them on the app step, it would be very helpful if I could do something with them, the values are with range of 0-100 (percent), if I could put a red square under it if the value was below 20 and yellow square for values between 21-70, it would be great !
This is part of my screen where those analytics are shown :

Kind Regards,
Amit Berku

Hi @Amit,

If you use Tulip Table Aggregations, you can do exactly what you’re describing! If you’re changing the aggregation values directly from the app, each time you change the table you could check to see if the aggregation is within certain ranges and set up dynamic coloring.

Just as a note, aggregation values typically update every 5 seconds!

Hi @Grant,
In the analytic I’m using this expression :
(round(sum(@tbl_collect_multivac_data Cycle_count ) / ((sum(@tbl_collect_multivac_data Current_row_minutes ) / 5) * 40), 2) * 100) + ‘%’
Can I implement it in a Tulip table aggregation as you wrote ?

Amit

Hi @Amit,

You wouldn’t be able to do an expression like that yet in a table aggregation directly but could do something similar if you update those fields directly from your app.

Let’s say you have a button that increments your cycle count or a timer that increments your minutes. You could have an aggregation that exists as the SUM of those fields but then every time you increment one of those counts you could also do a Data Manipulation > Store action to calculate the expression ROUND(aggregation1 / aggregation 2) along with the other math operations you’re using.

You could save this to a variable and just have this variable get routinely updated every button press/every time the timer runs.

Does that make sense?