Custom labels for table columns

I see value in having the option to change the display names of columns in interactive tables and widgets that display object variables with multiple attributes. The default column or attribute names don’t always reflect the context of how the data is being used (or even look nice) so I’d like the flexibility to manipulate that at the point of presentation.

2 Likes

Good afternoon @MoPositive,

Thanks for sharing this, this is a great idea!

The product team has been notified of your suggestion and we’ll keep up posted as there are updates.

I have seen this solved quite well by using Text Widgets as labels (on Table Record Placeholders, although it could also work on Interactive Tables). Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Gio

On Interactive tables, I can’t control the column sizes and they are adjustable by the operator, depending on what data is shown. If I put labels over the column headers, I lose the ability to adjust the column width, not to mention the labels might not even line up with the columns, I suppose.

Thanks for the report @MoPositive.

As for the first request around renaming, this is a good idea and we are going to consider this alongside an upcoming project called “Table Queries” where you will be able to predefine queries outside of apps.

As for the column size, we are investigating that as a bug.

I’m also very interested in the use case mentioned here - needing to alter column labels within the UI only (i.e. not having to alter the table definition to achieve it). You mentioned the Queries project and I see that has made some progress. Could you comment on whether that or a change to tables would allow for the UI “adjustments”? Thanks!

Hi, any update on display names for the columns? I was demoing a Tulip app today to my team and this was brought up. Specially the fact that the interactive table widget displays the data type on the column is not esthetically pleasing. It is useful in the development platform but not required in the Tulip player. Given this is a WYSIWYG platform is it possible to at least hide the data type from settings across the board (devel and player). We can sort of get by, by renaming the table fields to make the column heading more esthetically pleasing but no way to hide the data type.

Hi @Rakitha,

This should be possible with the labels element of an embedded table:

If you send me a private message with your instance name, I can verify that this is available for you!

Thanks,
Grant

Hi Grant, thank you for your quick reply. I did not think to click there :slight_smile:
This solves half my problem. I still cannot hide the data type. As shown by the red circles in the image below.

Hi @Rakitha,

Yes that’s not currently possible but I’ll create a new product suggestion for an additional option to hide data type!

1 Like

@Grant @Rakitha reposted the request on data type labels to its own topic Hide column header data type watch there for updates from Tulip team

1 Like