Extract User Name Text from User Table

Hey Gio,

We would like to have the ability to extract the User Name as text from the User Table.

Currently, you can only extract the record ID as the generated random string made for each record, but it would be nice to utilize their actual User Name that is displayed without having to create a custom field in the User Table and having to enter their name in a second place.

This could be helpful in a lot of situations where the User Name needs to be recorded to another table, list, or connector as a text field and not a user field type.

Thank you!

Eric Singer

1 Like

Hey @Esinger5, thanks for posting!!

I agree that this would be really useful to have, I have created a ticket for our product team to evaluate getting this feature added to the platform. @kevin.kononenko will be reaching out with questions that may come up and updates .

thanks again!!

gio

1 Like

Any news about this, Gio?
Need this too.
Regards
Chris

Hello there,
Do someone know a workaround for this problem ? I need to send an email mentioning the user name but I cannot extract it from the user field that I’ve previously stored.
Thanks for the follow up,
Patxi

Hi… Any update on this topic??

Hey @vch -

It looks like the users name is available in app info now for the logged in user-

Or any user-

Does this solve your problem?
Pete

Hi @Pete_Hartnett

I want to extract user name (from a table record) to form a message using the expression
So after selecting a specific user from the users table,

I want to send a message to that user with this trigger:

but this is what it turned out

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hey @vch -

Gotcha! Right now this isn’t possible but I just wrote a feature request to expose all user attributes within expressions in this format:

@variable.userVar.name
@variable.userVar.badgeId
@variable.userVar.customField1

In the meantime, the way I usually get around user table limitations is with the use of a dedicated user lookup table:

Its a bit of a workaround, but it does a decent job filling these gaps temporarily.

As a little more context-
A team was just formed internally in the engineering organization to take on a ton of work around user management. This is probably the team that will take up this request, but it might take a little longer than usual because it is looped into this larger initiative.

Hope the context helps!
Pete

Hi @Pete_Hartnett

Looking forward to the new feature… Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @vch -

On a whim, I tried to see if this was possible with a custom widget, and lo-and-behold, it is!

Attached is the widget. Instructions on how to install are here:

Setup on this widget is quite simple. Pass it the user you want the name of, and it will update the name field. So when I pass the custom widget a user it will set the name variable, to the value of that user.

customWidget-Get User Name.json (1.9 KB)
NOTE: This widget hasn’t gone through our standard code review process, so use it with caution.

Pete

Hello @Pete_Hartnett

your “get user name” custom widget is not working for out instance, any idea why? Maybe has to be updated for newer version of tulip ?

Hi Jan,

Here is the JSON file, exported from R249.

Thanks,

Aaron

customWidget-Get User Name (2).json (2.0 KB)

Hey @Pete_Hartnett , Any updates on this? I looked for the Product suggestions topic about this, but couldn’t find it.

1 Like

User customer widget to finish it ,
The js will be like this:

getValue(‘UserIn’, (UserIn) => {
fireEvent(‘show name’, UserIn.name);
});