Filter embedded table with linked record field

Hello Tulip team,

I’m facing a lot of use cases where I would like to add a filter on a embedded table based on a linked record field. However at the moment I’m not allowed to select this type of field.

Ex of typical use case - Link type One to Many :
First step user selects work order/testing and second step user wants to select in embedded table a sub-assignment/sub-test

Patxi

2 Likes

Hey Patxi,
Yotam with Tulip Engineering here. I don’t think we currently have the feature set you’re looking for directly. However, what you could do is pull the “linking record”, parse out the ID (using the field itself or the expression editor) and then load the “linked record”. This might give you similar functionality.

2 Likes

Hello Yotam, this topic is still an issue in my daily app building activities. I’m doing this horrible workaround every time I use linked records. : One field to use filters and one to link the table (see below).

I even try to use the table API to create and display an object rather than embedded table but I cannot output the linked fields :sweat_smile: If you have more ideas you’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’d just like to throw in my two cents here that this would be an enormously useful feature. Just about every table link I have is copied over to a another column. I have a moderately complex data structure with 7 tables, all with linked columns, and all having dynamic linking within the app. I’m trying to avoid using a connector at this stage as I need interactive table sorting for future reporting.

3 Likes

@CPS_Chris_Winters I know you are interested in this as well! Will update this thread when we add the functionality.

Once we release it, it will work on both queries defined in apps AND the Table Queries feature.

2 Likes

Is this still being worked on or are there any new workarounds that effectively provide the functionality?

Hey there! You can definitely use linked records to filter embedded tables.

The trick is to recognize that linked records are actually arrays (even if there is only one). Since it is an array you can use the “is in” filter.

Does this work for you?

Hi Mark, I think I’m missing something. When I try to select an interactive table I don’t see any. You can see in the screenshot below I have a linked column “Associated Procedure” but only my text column clone "Associated Procedure [Non-Linked] is showing up.

@Ethan check out this video

I think what you are trying to do is over at 7:20

Hope this helps

1 Like

Ah! Very interesting. I had to watch that a few times to wrap my head around what was happening for some reason, but I think that will work. I just tested it out with some of my tables and had success. I’ll update this thread if I run into issues.

Thanks!