Force app restart after publish

Hey,

One pain point we have found is when an app is updated with a new version we need to go around and manually restart it on each machine. This is easy to miss for a single machine and not super easy to catch.

It would be even nicer if we could drive this reset with a ‘reset this station’ button on the web editor so we could just restart machines while they are between jobs vs all of them, and having to go back into the current order.

Eventually it would be very nice to be able to do control the player from the web dashboard, but I realize that is a big ask.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

No idea about right solution, but this problem is true

1 Like

Good afternoon @Peter.Hartnett & @youri.regnaud,

This can currently be done from the Shop Floor by clicking the pen icon next to the Player that’s running and selecting the Splash Screen. This will restart the app and run the latest published version.

See below for an example:

Is this what you were looking for?

Thanks!

Giovanni

3 Likes

Love it!

Thanks Gio.

Turns out I need 20 characters so here is that.

@gio does this feature still exist? Or is there a new way to force restart apps remotely?

hello @Ethan!! if you go to the Shop Floor, you should see the pen icon next to the location/name of the App that’s running:

if you click that, you can change the App/Step that’s running on that Stations. do you see it?? let us know!!

Ah I figured out what’s going on. That pen will only be there if the app is currently running. Our app is running on iPads and also in different places around the world and is more often “Not Running” than running. Is there a way I can force restart an app while it isn’t running?

1 Like

hello @Ethan, just to confirm is the Player on the Splash Screen (with the green Begin button)??

if so, the Player will run the latest Published Version if that’s what it’s set to on the Station once the User clicks Begin. let me know if I understood your question correctly!!

Oh, I suppose it is also important to mention that our app doesn’t work around completions, so the user is never brought back to that splash screen in the process of using the app. But, I also don’t have our stations set up to run the latest version of the app because we roll out the latest version here in the local office and once confirming there are no bugs, roll it out internationally.

ah OK, thanks for clarifying @Ethan!!

in that case, are you looking to restart the App as you’d like to clear out the Variables/Table Record Placeholders/etc.??

Nope, I just want to restart it to make sure the station is on the latest version of the app. It’s okay if this combination of things is not possible haha

Complete or cancel app could be a solution

1 Like