Scheduled Update Push

We have apps that get updated multiple times per year and sometimes multiple per month. It would be nice to have a way to schedule update pushes to the stations that use the app during their off hours so that we don’t have to disturb production while they are running. It would be convenient for myself and the other engineers that update apps so that we can make the update, schedule it, and move on to something else. Ideally the function will update their version being used and force a restart on the Tulip Player at the stations using the app.

I understand the update process is very easy from the work station but we tend to store persistent variables in the apps that will clear with the update and throw the production team out of their normal flow.

1 Like

No answer for 3 years :frowning:

Chris

Hey @ChrisF, thanks for bumping this. And you’re right, three years is too long to let these suggestions sit with no response. I’ve just put this question in front of the folks who are in charge of the platform release process so I should have a response soon.

In the meantime, thanks for calling us out on this. We want to make sure we’re closing the loop on these requests!

Thanks for bumping this, @ChrisF! This is definitely something we’ve spent time thinking about and designing, though we don’t have a specific date for when it’ll be available yet. As always, we’d be happy to chat more about your specific use cases to make sure we’re considering them appropriately.

I’ve had basically this feature as described implemented on all of my apps for a bit over a year now. On the Base Layout of the app, on Step Enter, I have logic to check if it is Monday after 7 AM or if the app has been running for more than a week, then log the user out and restart the app. That will automatically pull the most recently published version.

1 Like