How do split a barcode that has {FNC1} as the delimiter?

I need to have split a barcode that uses {FNC1} as the delimiter. We have other barcodes that uses | to split strings and we were able to get that info parsed. But another barcode we have uses {FNC1} and I found out that there isn’t an ASCII code for that. How do we go about parsing the following string?

“{FNC1}241” & output({varPN}) & “{FNC1}” & “240” & output({VarItemNumber}) & “{FNC1}” & “21” & output({VarSerialNumber}) & “{FNC1}” & “11” & output({varLotNumber})

Currently do this for our other barcodes

I tried to parse by expression but I was unable to figure out how to make it work.

Hey @Cthulhu, just wanted to flag that I’ve seen this and that I’m doing some sleuthing on my end to see if this is something we have a good solution for.

Hi,
I ran into the same problem.
I use the camera on the iOS Tulip app, and the barcode itself is read nicely. In this case I get the raw data and cant do any manipulation as can be configured in a barcode reader.
Anyone having success with using “optical barcode scanner” and parsing GS1 barcodes into single elements?
rgds
Asger

hey @ASharp-J , @Cthulhu -

Ah yeah, I’ve run into the same problem with other escaped characters (like \n). Unfortunately, Tulip at the moment doesn’t have a way to show non-printing characters in apps.

Good news / bad news, I think the only way to do this here is with regular expressions. But, that might make things actually easier to use as in using regEx you’re already separating the Serial Number, Lot Number, etc.

I’ve put in a product request to optionally show escaped characters for some barcode scanners, and will let you know if I have an update.

Lastly, I would state that some smarter barcode scanners are able to do this escape-to-plaintext conversion as a configuration option - I’ve used ones before that force, say, \n to output as those ASCII characters rather than a newline.

Hi,
Great that you also have it on your radar.
I also normally just configure the barcode reader do a ]C1 and # conversions to feed it to the application, but this time I am trying to push the end users away from their normal comfort zone of laptops, thin clients, wired/wireless physical barcode readers and into the wonders of apps on a smartphone - which they should be familiar with from everything else in their daily life. With the Tulip iOS app and the built in camera we can go a long way. It also shows that 2D data matrix & QR codes are lightyears beyond linear barcodes in terms of swift readability - but that is the second battlefield…
Keep us posted on how you progress on this :slight_smile:
rgds
Asger