RealWear Headsets

I’m looking into the use of RealWear headsets to run apps hands free. I’ve seen Tulip’s YouTube video demoing this and the design guide in the library and it looks easy enough to set up, but how practical are they? Any experience or case studies would be greatly appreciated.

Hey @Aiden.M,

Would love to see some customers chime in here too, but I can share my experience using RealWear recently for the first time. Tulip just opened our new headquarters and part of that space is a gigantic demo space where we have 12+ real Tulip demos. One of these demos is around a usecase where a glovebox is being used to mix a compound. Being able to walk through a process while staying hands in was something RealWear did quite well. There is video of this demo is available here.

I found navigation with the RealWear headset a little clunky initially, but like anything, you pick it up quickly. The voice detection was quite reliable, so I didn’t find myself erroneously triggering often. Stuff like data entry can be a little tricky, but walking through a process was incredibly intuitive.

Building apps for a RealWear experience is a little different than for normal screens because the screen is quite a bit smaller than a normal screen, so buttons and menus need to be a little larger, and the steps need to be a little simpler.

In short, I probably wouldn’t use RealWear in a case where users can easily directly interact with a screen, but for cases where that isnt possible, RealWear did a great job.

Hope this helps,
Pete

2 Likes

The voice commands worked very well in a noisy, crowded environment. I did a demo for a maintenance cleaning operation and liked it a lot. I would say the headset hardware, processing, display, etc have fully arrived as a technology at this point.

I’d prototype a few quick apps imagining that you’re viewing Tulip player in a headset. Designing to headset+voice will have a bigger user experience impact than the headset itself.

1 Like

Is French speaking is supported?

Hi Youri, yes it says in the product spec that French is supported, here is the link: Rugged Tablets & Industrial Hands Free Wearable Devices | RealWear

1 Like

Hi @RussWaddell and @Pete_Hartnett Can the Realwear headset managed voice only commands? I.e can we direct the operator solely by Realwear/Tulip talking to the operator? We have a client who wants to use voice direction without having to look at a screen for part of the operation. Perhaps Tulip could interface to another hardware device such as Vocollect?

RealWear definitely supports audio. I haven’t seen it used with this specific case where information to the operator is sourced from work instructions or similar but presented exclusively as audio instructions.

Migrated the feature request for voice-only and Vocollect support into its own topic in #product-suggestions.

@nweft01 We do have “Hands Free” voice-only control for Tulip Apps with RealWear available right now.
Here are places to start exploring this on Tulip:

https://support.tulip.co/en/articles/5878848-how-to-design-tulip-apps-for-the-realwear-headset

Please reach out if you need more info or hop on a call to discuss!

Hi Roy, thanks for the reply and the information references. The client wants to use voice only without using the screen, so ideally a different wearable that just uses 2 way voice commands.