Remote app restart

It would be great if running apps had a remote restart option. Consider a scenario where line leaders lack direct access to an application unless they’re physically present with it. In such cases, I’d like to suggest the inclusion of a feature allowing manufacturing site line leaders to remotely restart the desired app with the push of a button from other app. This feature would greatly enhance efficiency and app management in industrial environments.

Hi @emendoza, I see two ways for how this can be achieved already today:

1. Table + Timer Trigger: Create a table record for the relevant stations that you monitor via a timer trigger. The line leader could then in their app set a parameter, e.g. a boolean field called “Restart” to “yes”. The next time the timer fires, the station would see this, set it to “no” and then restart the app.

2. Machine triggers: Another option is using machine triggers. Create a machine that has a “restart” attribute. You could then build a button into the line leader’s app that uses a connector function to report a restart command to that “machine” via the attributes API endpoint. Each station App that you want to be able to restart could have a base layout machine trigger that restarts when this attribute is reported.

Another option, though not from an App, is always to restart Apps from the stations page by selecting / unselecting the currently running app for stations that are online.

One additional note: As each of these would interrupt the work that an operator might be doing at the station at the time the restart is initiated I recommend treating this carefully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

HI @stefan it is possible you can give me more details about how to create the 2nd option? For machine triggers.

Thanks!

@Richard-SNN Hello, is this someting you can assist? @matt.dumouchel gave me your contact.
Thanks!

Hey @emendoza, sorry for the late reply here.

Can you elaborate more on which step you would need more help with? Are you familiar with the attributes API and how machine triggers in Apps work in general?