Running multiple apps concurrently

Hi Tulip team,

I’d like to request the ability to run multiple apps side-by-side in the Tulip player - similar to opening different tabs in a web browser and visiting different sites that you can toggle between without closing them. As far as I can tell, this is not possible (except if running one app in the Player and a second in a web browser - but this workaround only supports two apps and creates a device registration nightmare). I understand that this workflow may be unexpected for you, but it has been a heavily requested feature across several of our teams. We need to run apps concurrently because we build often build things concurrently, rather than with a “dedicated station” approach. (E.g. one person with one device may need to reference several of our instructions at the same time due to the nature of the work.) Thanks for considering this request - it would be a greatly appreciated ability to add.

1 Like

Thanks for sending this, Dylan. Yes, we have gotten that feedback quite a bit- we are planning the concept of a “paused” state for apps to allow for this. Right now, an app is either “running”, “canceled”, or “completed”, so that is why we don’t support this.

Will update this thread when it is available for a beta!

Adding @mhostage to this post, per our discussion today. (Also FYI @janani.rajendran)

Yes this would be very helpful for our business as well, I’m adding this comment so I can be notified of updates to this thread.

tagging @CPS_Chris_Winters to link a similar question about pausing apps from this thread

Following up on this. We’re exploring different ways to make apps more shareable, without needing to set up a station, so it would support having multiple apps running in different tabs in the browser. I don’t want to overpromise and underdeliver on timeline, but this is on my radar. happy to talk more, email sam.feller@tulip.co

-Sam

Some news about pause function?

@youri.regnaud, I’m bringing this request to pause apps to the attention of @Viktor, Product manager from the Apps team.

1 Like

Do you know if it is possible to pass variables from one application to another? Our use case is to launch a new app from an existing app and avoid to ask to operator same input (production order number, operation number, …)

Hey @youri.regnaud,

This one slipped through my radar. The way I would recommend passing data between apps is with the user table, here is how I would do that. This can also be done with a normal table.

There has been some discussion to be able to start an app with a set of parameters, so one app launching another could pass critical parameters. This functionality isn’t a high priority (because there are pros and cons to this functionality, and there is a workaround), but it is something that has been catalogued as a feature worth investigating more.

Pete

Thanks, we have to clarify with business the best key : User, Station, User&Station

We think also how we can reset this parameter after some time or between each day