Ability to send messages to stations

This might be a bit of a silly feature, but it would be nice if while viewing station activity, you were able to send a message to the station. I work remotely and don’t have direct contact with operators on the floor during production. If the production manager is in a meeting or otherwise unavailable, it would be nice to be able to send messages to the operator when I see them having an issue in an app.

A good example: An operator had selected the wrong label printer in our production app. They kept trying to reprint a label over and over, not realizing they’d selected the wrong printer. If I was able to send a ‘support’ message to the station, I could have told them to change to the correct printer.

Just a thought.

Hey @richard.vaughn

This is a fantastic idea! I’ve implemented similar functionality in the past with tables, but this could be a feature by default. I wrote up a request for this one!

Pete

Hi @Pete_Hartnett
any news about this request?

I need this functionality too, to inform some stations about offline devices, issues with the app or other important notifications.

Regards Chris

I want to add, that it is a difference, to push a notification by the app, or directly to the station (regardless of the app).

We have use cases to push a message to the station itself. This would also ensure, that the current app (and version) does not matter.

(Use cases:

• “Please update the iPad”
  • “Please load the newest version of the App”
  • “This Station was logged out of the app. Please wait for maintanance reasons, we will fix this soon…”
  • “Your problem report was processed. Your issue is solved, you can reload the app and move on…”
  • “The connection to the database might be slow. This is due to planned maintenance. And will be normal in about an hour.”

)

2 Likes

This could be a good solution to a messaging use case. credit: @danielpomeranz

1 Like

Yet again @danielpomeranz knocked this out of the park-

To @ChrisF’s question - no real progress here yet. We have seen a few dozen customers out in the wild able to address this problem with approaches adjacent to Dan’s, so this hasn’t risen to the surface as the most critical gap for us to focus on.

There is some more broad thinking going on around how we handle notifications within the product, including for both frontline users and those using the web platform. No details or timelines to share yet, but certainly an area with understood space for improvement.

Pete

1 Like