Copy triggers from step enter event to widget event

Hello,
There is no way to copy entire trigger between to types of objects, for example from step on enter event to a button widget.

If I created a trigger in the step enter event and than I have to create the same logic on a button click event, it can’t be copied, I have to open another window and manual copy command after command, very furstrating.

For example, I created a trigger that inital value of a step (for some variable clear them, for other, gives default value that is suit for this step only), at first I put it in on step enter event, than got the idea to add a button for initial the screen, so …

Please think how to resolve this issue.

Thank you,
Amit

Hi Amit, I don’t have a delivery date for this, but I’m actively working on this. The use case you described is very helpful.

1 Like

Hi Li,
Thank you for notify me about that, have a great day

Amit

Hi,

Is this still being worked on as its very frustrating?

Thanks,

Shane

Hi @SNash- Yes, we are looking at this now! Out of curiosity - are there any triggers you find yourself copying again and again?

1 Like

Hi Pete,

My use case is very similar to the original poster. I have a button with around 10 triggers on (some quite detailed) and it turns out that I would like to move most of them into an ‘On Step Enter’ trigger on another page. Iv had quite a few instances where iv wanted to move triggers between different trigger types, some have been a quick to replicate but some have taken quite a while. Also, if you have to manually copy them across and the triggers are quite complex, then you also run the risk of getting the detail wrong and breaking the app. Copy and paste is always the safer option :slight_smile:

Hi Pete,

As this was actively being looked into 6 months ago and is now being looked at again, do you have any expected delivery date? Although im sure it is complicated to implement, it feels like standard functionality that users would make use of.

1 Like

Hi @SNash Thanks for following up, sorry for the delayed response. We are planning a series of improvements for how triggers are created and managed - with this request being one of them. We are excited to rollout these changes, but this specific request is delayed as a result. Best guess is middle of the year. In the meantime, would you be interested in talking more about triggers? If so, please use this link to schedule a call. :slight_smile:

cant wait for this feature… this will save so much time.
my use case is also to copy triggers from button to step enter.

Is there any update to this topic?

I’ve go a similiar problem: I’m maintaining some apps, that run several triggers one after another which are assigned to a button. One of these apps runs 24 triggers with a single button widget - some triggers are rather simple, some very complex. As this app was updated several times over the last two years the same button is used in a few different steps and after the release of r236 the triggers were also copied to input widgets. Unfortunately this makes maintaining and updating apps a pain as I have to look through tons of copied triggers.

I would like to simplify these apps by copying the affected trigger-functions to an own “execute” step as on step enter triggers. This way I could simplify all the buttons and input widgets. The widgets will then only go to the “execute” step and the last trigger would then go back to the previous step. This way those apps would be much leaner and easier to maintain.

Hey @Alex -

Not a ton of movement on this one yet (at least not directly). We did enable the ability to change the when type for step and app level triggers to streamline some copying, but haven’t yet extended that to widget trigger > step trigger.

In the past ~6 months, a team has been working on a slightly new, but significantly more powerful, trigger experience to help address some of the reusability pain points that exist in triggers. The ‘more powerful’ part of this new experience has mandated some engineering work on the backend, but that is nearing a v1 state. This work should go into alpha and beta testing in the back half of this year and should see the broader Tulip world sometime in early 2023. Reusability is a first order priority of this work.

Pete

Hi @Pete_Hartnett

any news?
Now it’s early 2024…

As long as I can’t copy triggers between events, buttons and other widgets, is it easier to integrate a possibility to simulate a “Button_click” (or other) events and call/run so all of the corresponding triggers from the widget?

For example:
I have a trigger for an input field when pressing the enter key. The same trigger will fire when I hit the “search” button.
So there are redundant triggers for different widgets.

What do you think about it? Easier to implement or too different?

Regards Chris

Such a Workaround would be using something like this custom widget for delay…
The delay could also be 1ms (or even 0ms?)

However, this is still a workaround, and you would always need the wise foresight to know what to put in here… So it will only be useful for:

• you know you want to call one triggerset from a button and step enter
  • you need the actual delay

In my opinion, there is a lot around this topic:

• enter in a text input is an additional trigger set to maintain, you will additionally need a button
  • calling the same functions from different scenarios (coming from a specific step, manual button, clicking into a table, device input…
  • executing the same from keybord or barcode scanner…
  • resetting variables for multiple use
    -…

all of these could be functions you could store in a step or on app level (local / global) and just call it…

1 Like

Such solution for using same trigger in different widget would be great for me too, I have this use case in so much steps and apps, maybe a solution like function (called also procedure in Delphi or Function Module in SAP…) doing single process that you can use in different steps and apps would be very usefull, like, for example, write data into a table that ocour in many places accross app.

Thank you,
Amit Berku

Thanks @thorsten.langner
that’s a great workaround/solution.
It’s just a pity that I can’t copy triggers from steps or buttons.

Regards Chris

1 Like

Thank you all for your input on copying/pasting triggers (especially around functions and workarounds that you’re currently using).

This is great feedback and will revisit this as we look to tackle these issues.

Sincerely,

Jake

1 Like