How to display user without showing Tulip assigned characters?

Hi,

I apologize if this has already been asked, wasn’t sure what to put in the search bar for this.

Is there a way to display the User without showing the Tulip assigned ID?

I recognize an alternative is to save the user’s name as a text table record, but then to reference back in order to make a trigger to email the user feels like unnecessary extra steps.

Thank you,

Levi

1 Like

Hi @Levi, this is a good question, but unfortunately it’s not possible to display a user without displaying the assigned ID. I would suggest submitting a product suggestion here to make sure this request gets in front of the appropriate teams.

Where do you get the value from and how do you display it?
I Don’t understand completely how you ran into this issue.

@John Thank you for the reply. I will submit a product suggestion.

@thorsten.langner The value is assigned by Tulip itself (I believe if you set up SAML logins, this may go away?). There are a number of ways to display it, but the quick and easy way would be to create a User variable, and create a data manipulation trigger to store “App Info → Logged in User” into the variable. When you run/test the app, the variable will display “NAME (AAA####)”.

Thats why I’m asking. It does not show the User ID in my test cases (no SAML active):

I see. It’s likely because we’re using custom fields:

Thats still remarkably, even there the ID is only in the Title at our instance:

Fascinating… I am quite jealous of your situation. I have no idea what might the difference between our two situations may be. @John Might you know why?

@Levi, this is display happens when Tulip has GxP feature flags enabled. If this is true of your instance, that’s likely what’s happening. I ran this past some of our product folks, and I’m going to submit a feature request to look into making the presentation of user’s names something you can edit in the settings.

I see, yes that is true. Thanks for clearing this up, and thank you for submitting the request!

Hi @John ,

Is there a way for emails to not display the text, but instead the actual user’s name:

Here is the trigger:

And here is the variable:

Thank you,

Levi

Bump for any help with this please.

Hey @Levi, thanks for the question, I can see why this would be confusing.

I see you’re using a variable “assigned to” in the body of the email. My recommendation is to make sure you’re saving the user’s “name” data, not using the “logged in user” entity. Let’s look at some screenshots to add texture to this.

First, I’m going to save two pieces of data to variables, 1.) The logged-in user’s name, and, 2.) the logged-in user’s user id.

Here’s another perspective:

Let’s look at how these render in Dev Mode:

You can see that they’re both saving a name, but the formatting is different. In the name, it’s a text variable of my name, and the other is still my user id. Beneath that is the unwieldy string.

Let’s look at how this will render in an email. I’ve added a line of logic to send an expression to an email. It’s a message that says “this is my name as text; this is my name as a user ID”:

This is how the email renders in my client:

So the answer here is to use the LOGGED-IN USER > NAME field

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. Understood on how to use this if the variable is the logged-in user, but what if it is not? For my specific case, it will almost never be the logged-in user.

Thank you,

Levi

Same principle for any user: just make sure you’re selecting the name value and not the User ID:

Hi John,

I see. What about through the variable? I need to send an email based on the selection the logged in user selects. Unless there is another way around it? I have it structured:

App asks user to select a person to be emailed (variable X) → Trigger sends email to variable X

Thank you,

Levi

Sorry, clarification on my last post:

App asks user to select a person to be emailed (variable X) → Trigger sends email to variable X → Email says “variable X needs to do blank”

Bumping this for support.

The discrepancy between the proposed solution and the issue is that the proposed solution already knows who the user is, whereas the issue does not. Storing a user in a variable doesn’t give me the option of alternating between text and string.

What I would recommend here is adding a “Name” row to the user table, and using that name field to populate your variable. If you present the user with a list of names in an interactive table, you can write logic with a when row is selected action that saves the field “Name” for the selected user to a variable.

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. This definitely works (though a bit tedious if we have 100+ employees). Thank you for your help in this matter.