iPadOS Instability

We’re having problems with running Tulip on iPadOS in Safari that seem related to the Tulip app running for a long time without Safari or the iPad being restarted. Buttons and triggers just start misbehaving (e.g. not executing all of a trigger) or don’t work at all. These types of issues will also show up more randomly (and less frequently) even after running the app for just a couple of minutes. Problems can also include something as simple as not being able to enter text into a text field. My application does not involve completions. I’m running Tulip inside of a Safari home screen shortcut/bookmark.

Is anyone else having problems on iPadOS? Is there potential for strange things to start happening with Tulip apps if you don’t have completions? Any other ideas?

Hey Ethan,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

This issue is actively being investigated by our engineering team and we will provide updates as soon as it is resolved.

Het.

Thanks for the quick reply @Het if you need any other info just let me know.

Another issue we’re experiencing that seems to be related is that the Tulip app will become unresponsive after a while, i.e. you can’t touch buttons or interact with widgets in anyway. Pressing the home button on the iPad and reopening the Safari instance containing Tulip resolves the issue, as well as rotating the screen from landscape to portrait bizarrely. I don’t need to restart the Tulip app or close the Safari instance on the iPad.

Hey Ethan,
We are aware of this issue too and are actively investigating it!

Thanks,
Het.

2 Likes

Hey Ethan,

After investigation, we believe that these issues are caused by Safari suspending the tab (or putting it to sleep). This disrupts your device’s connection to the server.
I don’t believe there is an extension in Safari, or fix, that can address this behavior in the immediate future.

This issue has already been flagged by our Product Team, and we’re discussing the possibility of packaging the Tulip Player in an iOS based Application. This will eliminate the need to be dependent on Safari.

Thanks,
Het.

1 Like

Okay good to know Het. Thanks for the update

2 Likes