Node-red and Edge IO device

How many tags Edge IO device supports. I want to send multiple tags data from node-red to edge IO.
Is there any limitations of creating tags in edge IO ?

Hi Ajay,

There is no official limit on the number of tags you can create on the Edge IO. (Note that you can only have 1 active “tag list” node at a time, but that tag list can have as many tags as you want.)

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Best,
Kathy

2 Likes

Thanks Kathy. it helps a lot !

Can you please help me with one query which is if i connect modbus tcp and tulip Edge IO through node-red, then is it possible to get data in the tulip app in less than 10 msec refresh rate ?

We don’t have official support for modbus, but it is possible to build an application in Node-RED using 3rd party nodes (ex: node-red-contrib-modbus) to communicate with modbus devices.

We don’t support a guaranteed <10ms refresh rate. We can give more specific advice if you let us know the specific application for which this refresh rate is required.

1 Like

Thanks Kathy for the quick response and valuable information.

Do you know if anyone has tried reading 100s of tags? 1000s? 10000s? Each updating 1/second.

Hi @g.ruiz-camauer1 - thanks for your question!

It will depend on a variety of factors - on the Edge side, this is how many “other” things the Edge device is doing + how much processing is done per tag read, and on the cloud side it depends on how much logic is triggered on tag write. There’s also the network speed to consider. We have seen performance degradation in the past at 100Hz.

One important thing to note though is that performance across a large number of tags should be significantly better if doing batched writes - see the " Sending Data to Multiple Tags" section of this support article. In this case, you can write many attributes in the same request, which should significantly reduce overhead. This wouldn’t help, however, if you wanted to write the same tag at a faster rate.

Best,
Kathy

One more clarification @g.ruiz-camauer1 - when I am talking above about performance, this is between one Node-RED instance and Tulip.

In general for Tulip machines (across multiple data sources), a data rate of 100-1000Hz should be doable.

Thank you for your quick reply and the link to the “Sending data to multiple tags” article.

Regards,

Guillermo