View/Update table values dynamically

Hi Community,

I am trying to build a data management app to edit values in a specific data table.

Let’s say the table has 3 columns besides the ID: Column A - Column B - Column C.

A table record is selected first in the app.

Is it possible to have a dropdown list in the app that has (Column A - Column B - Column C) as entries without having to add them as static values?

For the table record selected:

• Is it possible to dynamically show the current value in the table for the column selected from the dropdown list entry?

• Is it possible to enter a new value (using a text input box) dynamically to the column selected from the dropdown list entry?

Adding “If Then Else” statements based on the dropdown list entry wont be possible since the number of columns is nearly 100 and more columns could be added to the table in the future.

Basically, the objective is to view/update specific table values in the app, where the column name to view/update is dynamically chosen from a dropdown list instead of hardcoded in the logic

BR,

Hi there,

I took a try at this myself and not sure if this is exactly what you’re looking for but it will at least be a start!

1. Dynamically showing a current selected row from a table in a single select drop down menu

Here are the steps I took (this assumes you already have an interactive table in your app with a record placeholder):

• Create a trigger on your interactive table to push the selected row value to an array (make sure to check the array variable is empty, and if it is not, to clear the array, otherwise the list will just keep growing)

• Create a single select, and for the drop down data source, select your array variable created from your table trigger above

• now, when you test the app, you will see when you select a row in the interactive table, the single select drop down updates with all columns of data for that row

Before we tackle part 2 of this question (Update the chosen column value from the drop down with a new value from text input) - is this what you were looking for?

Part 2 - I think this is maybe best accomplished with a different method, where you have another trigger on your interactive table to save all the column data of the selected row to individual variables, and then you have a text input box and button trigger for each one of the those variables to update them (like in the Tulip Library BOM management app BOM management | Frontline Operations Platform) - but this does not allow for you to directly use the drop down variable from Part 1. Potentially we could do something with arrays to write the new data back to our array and then update the entire selected row with the new array with the new data as well.

If you are expecting anything like this, I would strongly recommend exploring an architecture that scales latitudinally and not longitudinally. You should only add columns for things which are statically defined. This will simplify the solution to your original problem statement too. I cannot give much further guidance without more information.

1 Like

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your input. However, what I want to show in the dropdown list is the column name not the value in it. Once that column name is selected, I would like to show the value associated to that column for the selected table record in a separate variable.

BR,

Understood - going off @danielpomeranz comment, would you be able to explain your use case here (screenshots are helpful) and why the table would need so many columns? Maybe there is another approach we can take!

Hi @Beth ,

All of the following is done in a training instance.

The Data table will be similar to this one, only with a more important number of fields:

These values will be only managed in Tulip.
To update one of these values, we have to go through an app in order to have a signature and a completion record.

The app should look like this:

A first step to select the material and display the current data values:

A second step to view/edit a specific piece of data:

- Is it possible to have a filtered list of column names as entries without having to add them as static values?
- Is it possible to dynamically show the current value in the table for the entry selected in the dropdown list?
- Is it possible to enter a new value (using an input box) dynamically to the column selected from the dropdown list entry?

Best regards,