Automatic Tulip Player Management

I am so exausted to download for each new user the Tulip Player Application by myself. So, I decide to create a little script which check if the tulip player folder already existing otherwise it directly downloads the package’s Tulip Player.

how lazy I am, i want to go further and for next step i need some help :

• Improve script UX

• Check if Tulip Player version for the current user is the lastest (otherwise download it)

• Automatic device and station assignement based on provided data known

• Automatic server selection

Automatic device and station assignement based on provided data known

Automatic Tulip Player Management

Hey Mathieu, this will certainly be important as you scale up with Tulip.

I have a question- are there other software products that you have used that do a good job of this? Ie automated download of client on all machines.

Also, is this linked with Windows, or should be possible across all operating systems that your company might use?

Hi Kevin,

It is not generally used but when we make a machine configuration. While to go on internet and naviguate between website, we are using powershell script to download on trusted server.

The script made is a powershell script it can be used for Mac and android system. But of course, it an standard system for windows. I recommend to use standard solution for Mac and Android system.

Hi @kevin.kononenko, we use Microsoft System Center Computer Management to manage our software deployments throughout our company. So what @mathieu.rey is asking would be right inline with what we’ll need if we expect to be able to manage all our devices.

Potentially we’d be talking about 400+ computers so managing those on a walk-up basis would be inefficient. So to echo Mathieu, I think we’d need…

1. Completely silent installation.
  2. Ability to push update patches.
  3. Software configuration (server, Db, or other essential connections or configurations)

As far as station assignment goes I’ve been thinking about that a bit and I see there being a few solutions.

1. Do as Mathieu suggests and be able push this out with station configuration assigned.
  2. Base station identification on a file that we could administer separately (e.g. *.config, *.ini, etc.)
  3. Have a station management tool that allows you to configure and organize stations on a global basis, once they’re properly configured and on your network of course.

In our case, I imagine once we set a station we’d only change it if we were re-arranging a line or maybe globally renaming everything which would be it’s own special nightmare.

2 Likes

Hi @mathieu.rey, Hi @Aaron,

I know I’m hitting an old thread here, but i’m doing user research on how people manage their Player installations and how people manage their Stations and app assignments on the Shop Floor. if you’re interested in talking, i’m setting up research sessions through Calendly - Sam Feller

cheers!
Sam

Hi there,

I have the same need to automatically configure the Tulip player upon installation so that it connects to the customer account URL, to avoid this first page when opening the player for the first time.
I understand this is a product suggestion, but could you give us a workaround in the meantime?
I guess from the documentation that one could set something in the configuration folder : %APPDATA%\Tulip Player\tulip\global_config

Thank you and best regards,

Antoine

We will soon need to look into something like this as well…