Export Table from Player

Hey Tulip Team,

One feature request that would be extremely useful is to have the ability to export a Tulip Table from within the player rather than only having that feature available in the design platform.

While designing apps, I try to incorporate everything I can so the end users don’t have to use the app design platform for their tasks. A prime example of this was when filters were added to embedded analytics so end users could manipulate analytics within the app to view what they needed.

Sometimes end users need to export table data for their needs. It would be great if they could do this directly within an app through a button trigger.

Since the majority of the programming for this is probably there already since this function exists within the Tulip Tables, this might be a quick win to incorporate as a trigger action under tables to export table as a csv.

Even further, it would be nice to have an option inside the trigger to either export all records or to only export filtered records (in case there are filters on the embedded tables to restrict access to only certain records).

Thank you,

Eric Singer

Hey Eric, thanks for sharing. What do users want to do with the CSV after they export it? And when you say “end users”, do you mean operators on your shop floor or somebody else?

Hey Kevin,

By end users, I mean the operators on the shop floor or supervisors that don’t need/have access to the design platform, but have operator roles.

Depending on the app, there are different reasons why people have requested this export function.

For a Training Manager app that I made, the HR manager and shop floor supervisors at that plant want a way to easily export all training records for audit purposes.

For a Batch Sheet app that I made, the process engineers on the team want a way to easily export all batch sheet records for side-projects where their specific analytics are either not embedded already or require a higher level analytics tool.

These are just a couple examples that I’ve run into recently.

As a side-note, related to this feature request, the ability to query and join multiple tables together is still not possible in Tulip, so in the meantime, being able to easily export multiple tables from within the app would allow operators to join and manipulate data when needed.

Thank you,

Eric

Node-Red can help! Create a flow that call Table API and transform payload in file format. You can after trigger this flow from Tulip app with a simple HTTP connector. Hope it helps

Hi,
Additinal to what @Esinger5 wrote, we need this possibility too, I created an app that checks valid weigh of product to be sure it’s inside a tolerance, I want to send a report to the managers to notice them on exceptions in this process by downloading this excel sheet to a know folder.
So, I see that this issue is openned since January and no solution yet developed by Tulip, is it on any timeline to be fixed ?

About what @youri.regnaud wrote, I don’t want to use any third party software for this process, I just want to download data from a Tulip Table to CSV or XLSX, that’s all, I don’t want to complicate the users.

Thank you,
Amit

I’m tagging @pete the product manager from the data team, to call this to his attention.

I would like an update on this feature as well. My use case is generating a report for non-Tulip users.

1 Like

Hi,

Does Tulip came up with any solution or is it still under consideration?

Thanks!

This function exists now in the platform:

I don’t see this option anywhere. Can you let me know where to find this?

Hi,

Can we export table data to excel CSV directly and download from the Player?

Can you please help me out with the process!

Thanks!

When you select (click) the interactive table in the editor, you should have this option on the right hand panel.

Once you enable the “export to csv” option, you’ll be able to export the table as a csv file which can then be opened in excel.

Hi @RDuke ,

Can we trigger an email with the exported csv (table data) from the tulip App automatically. ( use case - I want Tulip APP to send an email with the modified/updated TULIP TABLE in an EXCEL/CSV file format)?

Can we do that, if yes may I know how?

Thanks,
Sri

Doing a quick search of other posts, it doesn’t look like this is possible, as there are restrictions. As @Pete_Hartnett mentioned in this post (Table E Mail to user), tables can be extraordinarily long and be larger than email servers can allow. An alternative that I can think of is to create an analytic that is the table of interest filtered as you want it. You can then share the link to that particular analytic.