Quality of life: Comments in triggers

It would be nice to have a Comment action in triggers that would function similar to Step Groups with a visual difference (bg color).

Why:
Triggers can get huge and difficult to read. Its easy to miss something, so having a way to group actions and write comments for the section would be great.

i.e.

Call Connector Function
Comment → Update Work Order Table
Data manipulation → store → …

Comment → Update inventory number for X in Material table
Data manipulation → store → …

This would be huge. Right now I keep notes on the triggers for each step in the step notes, but having comments on the trigger would be awesome!

1 Like

Totally agree. This isnt being addressed with existing engineering work right now, but let me put a request in for it.

Pete

1 Like

Any update on this?

My current workaround which I picked up from somewhere in the community is populating a dummy variable…

Not so pretty…

1 Like

This would be great.

Hey Folks, there are a few different threads about commenting in triggers, and I want to make sure I chime in here and say that we hear you. Across the different threads, this is likely the most requested feature we have. Here are some for reference:

For perspective, this is a gap our product teams are aware of, and it’s definitely something that’s on our radar. Given how far back these requests go, some context is in order: we’ve known for awhile that we wanted to improve the basic trigger writing experience in Tulip. As a result, we’ve decided to bucket QOL improvements to the trigger editor to that cluster of work rather than implementing many of them in the interim.

If this is something that’s valuable, please continue to let us know. We want to make sure we’re taking your feedback and using it to create the best possible app building experience.

@kimberly, if you have more insight to share here, or more questions to ask, please do.

1 Like