Release 252 Discussion Thread - May 2023

Factory version 252 is going live at 9PM ET on May 7th! For all the details of this release, please check out the page in our Knowledge Base. This release boast numerous UI updates including a refreshed header menu, expanded serial device support, and the release of the Tulip Vision Barcode Detector.

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to hearing your feedback this latest release.

Shop Floor page users may see a new warning banner about unassigned display devices. Unassigned display devices will soon be prevented from running Tulip Apps, and we encourage admins to assign them to stations or remove app assignments from them

There are many devices with this situation in our instance, and I will announce my colleagues to assign them to station.
But why did this happen ? What do we have to be careful not to make our display devices unassigned ?

Hi @ta-aoki,

Thanks for the question. I just create a post with more details on this topic.

This section from the post explains why we’re making this change:

Why are we making this change?
In Tulip, permissions for which Display Devices can run which Tulip Apps are managed by Station assignment. However, the current behavior allows unassigned Display Devices (unassigned with respect to a Station) to run any Tulip App that exists in an Instance/Workspace. This breaks the intended permission model that is supposed to be managed by the Station. Tulip has decided to change this behavior. Going forward, Tulip will be preventing all apps from running on unassigned Display Devices.

There’s nothing wrong with having unassigned display devices. You and your team will likely work with assign/unassigned display devices when setting up or breaking down workstations. Going forward, any display devices left in an unassigned state won’t be able to run Tulip Apps without first being assigned to a Station.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

@AdamWarmington

Thank you for the detail post, but you are not answering my question. (Maybe my question was not clear enough, sorry for that.)

I was not asking why Tulip decided to make this change.
I am asking why (how) the display devices get unassigned.
I want to know it because I want our user to prevent new devices getting unassigned.

I may have found how unassigned display devices are made.

If the existing display device had station assigned but another new display device take over that station, existing display device get unassigned (replaced).
I will announce my colleagues not to take over the existing stations if they are planning to use both existing and new display devices.

Please let me know if there are any other ways unassigned display devices are made.

@ta-aoki,

There are a couple ways unassigned Display Devices could have been created.

1. Previously, Tulip didn’t require Display Devices to be assigned to a Station when they were created. This allowed users to create unassigned Display Devices. We’ve since prevented this behavior and users are required to assign a Display Device to an existing station or create a new station when creating a new Display Device. Below is an image of the updated modal that requires a station assignment.

2. The other way this can occur and is still possible, is when a user assigns a new Display Device (e.g., Display Device A) to a Station that already has a Display Device (e.g., Display Device B) assigned to it. In this situation, the original Display Device (Display Device B) assigned to the Station will become unassigned. This is what you described in your latest post.

1 Like

@AdamWarmington
Thank you for the explanation!
Is “Unassigned display devices” basically the same with the stations in “Ungrouped” station group ?
Or is it something totally different.

Hi @ta-aoki,

Sorry for the slow response. I was OOO last week.

No, Ungrouped Stations are not the same as Unassigned Display Devices. Station Groups are primarily a way for users to manage App assignment. Users can group stations together to quickly assign apps to multiple stations.