Show specific lines of a BOM for a work instruction

Hi Tulip Users,

I just started using tulip to write digital work instruction, my goal is to make a interactive work instruction with a BOM at every step so the production employee can see what part they need to use for the step. I want to make these steps as automated as possible. I managed to import the BOM of the entire product into Tulip but i cant seem to filter out all the unwanted parts in BOM for a production step. Eventually i want to upload the entire BOM into tulip and be able to select what parts i need for every step of my production manual so the technician’s dont need to look for the part they need to use in a list of 100 parts.
In this way i can quickly filter out unnessecary parts at every step to prevent confusion among the technician’s and i dont have to copy paste all of the sub BOM’s

If more information is necessary please let me know.

Is this possible within the Tulip application if yes? how is this achievable?
Thanks in advance!

Julius Kooijmans

Hi Julius, Welcome to the Tulip Community and thanks for reaching out! Question for you - how did you import the BOM (ex is it in tables, did you use a connector output, file)?

Hi Beth,

I just started using tulip so i’m not familiar with tulip but wit a 30 days trail i am trying to figure out if Tulip has all the possibilities we are looking for.

So i saved a Excel file as a .csv file and imported it into Tulip in a table.

Now that i have the BOM of our product in Tulip, when i place the BOM into a step i get the entire list of around 100 parts. I want to make instructions for the technician where they usually use 2-5 parts per step instead of all 100.

I want know if it is possible to take a selection of the BOM list and display in in a step. Otherwise it could get unclear for the Technician because the BOM will also display parts that are not used in that particular step.

Hi Julius, glad you’re using the trial, and what you’re asking for is definitely possible.

The best way to accomplish this will depend on a couple of factors, including how many steps are in your app and how many different combinations of parts from the BOM that you need to surface.

If you’re visualizing the BOM in an interactive table in an app, you can add filters in the widget pane.

You can also use a feature called Table Queries to create the filtering logic directly in the table.

Since you’re just getting started, if you’d like someone to walk you through this step by step, you can always drop by office hours. We have a few sessions each week.

Let me know if this helps!

That’s good to hear! i will try to drop by the office hours, where can i find the date of the office hours? As i will be joining from europe i will have to see if its possible to attend.

Julius,

Here is the link to access Office Hours - https://university.tulip.co/new-user-office-hours?next=%2Fnew-user-office-hours%2F12683

We have 2 sessions a week for new users - the 10-11am EST will probably work best for you with the time difference.

Beth

Hi Beth, i have tried to join the office hours call yesterday, is it possible to plan a private call where we can discuss the options within Tulip i nthe form of a DEMO and talk about the problems i am currently facing? i already applied to the ‘‘Request a demo’’ on your website, is it possible to combine that with 1 session?

Hi Julius - apologies that you couldn’t get into the Tuesday office hours - we were having a technical glitch with the meeting invite for that session but should have it resolved by next week!

I am reaching out internally to see if we could do a demo / specific use case chat all in one. In the meantime - we do have another Office Hours session tomorrow at 11:00am EST that you are welcome to attend as well (that meeting link should be working properly :slight_smile: ) https://university.tulip.co/new-user-office-hours/12683

Hi Beth, thanks for your reply i am now also in contact with Gauntham Yuvaraj to talk about the possibilities of Tulip and plan a demo.

1 Like

I think you could add a column to your BOM table listing the name(s) of the step or steps for which a component is required. Then have a version of that table filtered by your stepname in the app.

Alternately, you could have each step populate update a variable on entering the step, and filter the table by this variable.

2 Likes

That would be a good solution thanks! i will give it a try.