What barcode formats are supported for the optical barcode scanner

Is there any way to switch camera with Optical Barcode Scanner (the same way we can do with “USB Camera Widget”? Our use case is to avoid Barcode Scanner as we already use a camera https://www.dino-lite.eu/index.php/fr/ on workbench

1 Like

Hello Youri,

The feature set of Optical Barcode Scanner is pretty limited. This is because it was built mostly with testing in mind. This way you don’t have to have a barcode scanner to scan a work order for example.

In production operation, a normal camera, even a macro one like you linked is not going to do a great job reading barcodes. If you’d like to avoid a handheld scanner, I would recommend a purpose built camera. We support two right now from the Cognex Dataman series. 60s and 262. Otherwise you’ll be much better off with a handheld.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

What barcode formats are supported for the optical barcode scanner ? I got 3of9 to work, anything else?

Hi dillon,

I understand that the optical scanner is limited but actually, it is quite useful is you want to walk around with your tablet.

It will be really nice to be able to switch between the front and back camera as @youri.regnaud suggested since it is easier to focus that way.

Hello!

Since my original post, we have upgraded the optical barcode scanner feature.

@mellerbeck you can find the most up to date list of supported codes here

Currently, we support:

• EAN-8
  • EAN-13
  • Code 39
  • Code 128
  • ITF
  • RSS-14 (can be a bit buggy)
  • QR Code
  • Data Matrix
  • PDF 417

@hed I’m glad it’s been useful for you! Yes, this is a known feature request. I’ll let the engineering team know that you would find it helpful.

Hello Tulip community and Happy new year!!
@dillon , Some news about how switching to back camera or usb camera in the optical barcode scanner?
For us, it will be very useful for some simple cases where we don’t want a real scanner on on Surface tablet! ;o)
Best wishes

Hi Yvan
We have started work on adding USB barcode scanner support.
Still work in progress, but it is planned to be released early next month.
We will also add support for switching cameras on the optical barcode.
Thank you for your patience

Hello Gil,
Thank you for this good new!!
Excited to be able to test this!
Have a nice WE

FYI @youri.regnaud

Hi @gilzhaiek!

Can you update us on the status of switching the camera on the barcode scanner? It does not seem to be implemented yet.

I have an app that will read QR codes from IDs and is awkward to have to present them to the rear camera.

Thanks!
Armando