[Tip of the Week] Defining Player Settings

hello all,

for this week’s Tip of the Week, we wanted to share how you can customize the settings for your Tulip Player. there are a number of settings that you can adjust to change the behavior of the Player that are running your Tulip Apps. here is a list of the available settings you can configure:

• Mask Badge Id On Login
  • Hide App Completion Time in Player Menu
  • Hide error messages in Player
  • Hide “App Completed” and “App Canceled” messages in Player
  • Automatically Log Out Inactive Users
  • Logout user when Player app is closed. Logout is enforced 20s after Player app is closed.

additionally, for the Automatically Log Out Inactive Users, the time interval in minutes can be configured so you can define the number of minutes that pass prior to the user being logged out:

to configure your Players, simply navigate to https://{{account_name}}.tulip.co/account-settings/player as an Account Owner and you’ll be able to enable/disable settings as you’d like.

let us know if you have any questions about how to configure any of the available settings!!

1 Like

Hello,
That was very usefull data to know but I didn’t find anywhere, how can I know to which station is the current player (or profile) is connected too.
Can you help me with that ?

Regards,
Amit Berku

hello @Amit, great to hear you found this useful.

if you embed a Variable in your App, you can select App Info > Station Name which will display the Station Name once you run the App.

if you’d like to see what Instance your Player is connected to, you can navigate to Account > Profile from your Player (you will then see the company name):

is this what you were looking for?? thanks for posting!!

Hi Gio,
No, this wasn’t what I ment, I wanted to see in the Tulip player to which station is the particular user is connected without adding anything to the app screen visibility and how to change this station connection without using the clear all data function from the menu.
By the way, in the profile, you can’t see the station name of the user, you can see only the Name, Language, Id number and company

Thank you,
Amit

ah OK, thanks for the clarification @Amit. you will need to display the App Info element you’re interested in or use the /stations page from your App Builder.

to change the Station, you will need to go to the Shop Floor and modify which Display Device is connected.

hope this helps, let me know if there’s anything we can clarify.

Hi Gio,
Yes, this is what I ment exactly and hoped that there is a much simplier way to do so becuase it is very annoying to look for the station in the station list and not in the source where the user actually works, I will put the station name in the master layout for all steps.

Thank you,
Amit

ahh OK understood, that’s currently the simplest way to do this.

having good naming conventions for the Players certainly helps when looking for them, but adding to the Master Layout is certainly a good option too.

@gio Is there a way to dynamically change the display device for a station (i.e. not manually configure the display device under the station settings).

The use case is that we have many technicians that each have a tablet that is their assigned tablet that they use to perform all manner of tasks within a shop. From time to time each technician will need to perform a particular test at a specific station to validate a component. I’d like for them to be able to run the test on their tablet when they need to by dynamically managing the display device to be the technician’s tablet when they need to perform the test.

Is there a way to do this or is there another way to handle this use case. The bottom line is that I’d like each technician’s individual tablet to be the sole means by which they execute all manner of procedures and processes (both within Tulip and other applications), but it doesn’t seem like this is possible with Tulip, given the constraints pertaining to one display device per station that must be managed manually.

1 Like

Hi @gio,

is there a possibility to set the enforced logout timer manually? We are using SAML and would like to be able to increase the time before logout.

Regards,
Julian

Hey @hans,

Not too sure how this slipped through. Stations are kinda an arbitrary grouping that sometimes breaks down in usecases like yours where Tulip is moving all around your facility. Is there a reason that you can’t have each device setup in its own station (“Carl’s Station” for example) with the associated display device (“Carl’s Tablet”). In this case a station isnt a reflection of a physical location. We see a number of customers working on the same problem that have implemented this type of architecture.

Would this do what you need? This summer more work will be happening around stations, so I want to make sure your usecase is addressed.

@Julian,

Right now this isn’t user configurable, but I wrote a feature request for it. My gut feel is that this should be a pretty straightforward change, so we might be able to slip it in sooner rather than later.

Pete

Just to clarify @Julian,

This feature is around auto logout when player is closed. So when user 1 closes the player, they will automatically be logged out after 20 seconds of inactivity. This 20 second threshold wouldn’t apply while an app is running.

Is this what you understood this feature to mean?

If you are looking to achieve similar behavior in app, that can be easily implemented in player settings (and it is configurable).

Pete

Hi @Pete_Hartnett,

thanks for the quick response.

Right, I mean the time after the player has been closed. It would be great to see a configuration for this in the near future.

Julian

Hey @Julian,

Thanks for the additional context. Is there a reason you don’t just leave the player open in the background to get around this limitation?

The usecase I am imaging where this added configurability would be useful is a case where an operator is doing an audit ever 3 minutes, so you don’t want to log them out between these audits. If this is the situation, I would probably want my users to keep the player in the background so they aren’t constantly having to relaunch the player. How does your usecase differ from this sort of situation?

Thanks again!
Pete

Thanks @Pete_Hartnett, yes we could do that for our internal ops. We’d also like to use Tulip to provide third-party clients and contractors with service/work instructions, and it would be more difficult to rigidly control what devices they are using to access the applications. Happy to chat about this in more detail if needed.